Sunday 25 November 2012

Christmas Gift- Rosette Bracelet

OOOH! It's getting closer to Christmas!

Yes I truly am a small child inside :-D

So this week I am showing you how to make a really effective bracelet which I first saw on Kirstie Allsop's Homemade Christmas. In the show they use a lovely tartan material but me being a magpie I have gone with a shiny brocade. It is up to you, you may even just want to use some material you have lying around.

What you will need is: -
Fabric (less than 1 metre)
Scissors
Circle shape to draw around (mine is a cookie cutter 4cm in diameter)
Pen or fabric chalk
One button or large bead
Ribbon or more fabric to attach your rosette to and form the wrist strap
A clasp or button for the wrist strap
Needle and thread


1. Turn your fabric over and start drawing your circles which you will cut out. Try and get interesting bits of the pattern in your circle as you fold them in half later on. I used 21 circles but you can use a few more or less depending on how closely you have them stitched together.


 

3. Cut out the circles just outside the pens marks. I am sure you will be able to cut a neater circle than me!

4. You need to stop the edges fraying, one option is to hem the circle but for me brocade isn't just pretty, you can singe the edges with a flame like you can do with fabric ribbon. Just be careful that you only just singe the edge, you don't want to set the house on fire or create too obvious burns.

See the edge fuzz: -


The edge should look like this after:-
 (yes I know my circle is terrible! Luckily the end product doesn't show this too much)

5. Once you have all your circles ready you need to fold them in half and iron them a little so they keep the fold.

6. Now you sew through the very edge of one side and then keep stacking them on top. The amount of each circle you show is up to you.



 7. When you get back to the beginning you gently push the last half circle under the first.

(I added more to this as I was not happy with my wonky circles!)
 
8. Sew a button or bead into the centre to cover your previous stitches and give the piece a central focus. Then attach the rosette to your ribbon or other wrist strap. You can stitch it on or if you have strong fabric glue you can use that.
9. Create the clasp, the easiest method is just to add a button to one end of the ribbon and a button hole on the other. I used beading findings which clamp down on the ribbon and then a cute heart and bar clasp.



There you go, something different and home-made that looks expensive and very decorative, perfect for festive parties!

I hope you liked it, and remember just 29 days until Christmas! Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment