Wednesday 10 October 2012

Lavender Bag

Ever since moving to the nothern hemisphere I have struggled to sleep during winter. Having researched it I now know this is a sympton of SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and bought myself a light box. However I also find lavender helps calm me before bed and have made myself a Lavender bag which I keep by the bed.

You could also increase the size and make a pillow or keep your bag in you linen cupboard so your bed always smells pretty.

Even for someone like me, with very basic sewing skills, is able to achieve a fairly good result.

What you need
A square of spare material (mine was 15cm x 15cm but you use whatever suits you best)
Dried Lavender flowers (if you grow lavender in your garden you can dry your own)
Needle and thread (or a sewing machine)
A short piece of ribbon

1. Fold your material in half with the side you want on the outside of your bag inside the fold.
2. Sew along three of the edges.
3. Turn the bag inside out and fill 3/4 with dired lavender.
4. Fold a little bit of the unsewn edge inside and sew closed.
5. Sew your ribbon to one side of the bag and tie in a bow at the front.

And here is one I made earlier: -
 
 
 
I think it is working on my cat already!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Zimbunny. Thank you for popping along to my blog, I've come here to have a nose at yours. I like the lavender idea. I walked past a house yesterday to see they have chopped all the overhanging lavender back, I could smell it up the street. I wonder what they did with it, I hoped they saved it and put it into bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meanqueen!

    I love your blog, it really makes me realise how much I waste, I don't think I could be as thrifty as you but you certainly give me pause for thought.

    ReplyDelete